Food security — the availability, accessibility, and affordability of food to meet the dietary needs of individuals — is a critical global issue that affects many people worldwide. The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) estimates that in 2021, between 702 and 828 million people were affected by hunger. We have to change this, and create a world where everyone can thrive.
In today’s world, many individuals and organizations are working tirelessly to raise awareness about food security and ensure that everyone has access to nutritious food. What follows are 15 powerful food security quotes from people advocating for change. These quotes provide insights into the importance of food security and the need for collective efforts to address this issue.
1. “It is important for people to realize that we can make progress against world hunger, that world hunger is not hopeless. The worst enemy is apathy.” — Reverend David Beckmann
2. “Food security is an authentically human requirement. Guaranteeing it for present and future generations also means safeguarding ourselves against the uncontrolled exploitation of natural resources. Indeed, the process of consumption and waste seems to overlook any concern for … biodiversity, which is so important for agriculture.” — Pope Benedict XVI
3. “Sustainable energy + food security + healthy environment = full employment + better future.” — Phil Harding
4. “The war against hunger is truly mankind’s war of liberation.” — John F. Kennedy
5. “Poverty is a very complicated issue, but feeding a child isn’t.” — Jeff Bridges
6. “It’s clear that agriculture, done right, is the best means the world has today to simultaneously tackle food security, poverty and environmental degradation.” — Irene Rosenfeld
7. “Why should there be hunger and deprivation in any land, in any city, at any table, when man has the resources and the scientific know-how to provide all mankind with the basic necessities of life? There is no deficit in human resources. The deficit is in human will.” — Martin Luther King Jr.
8. “When people were hungry, Jesus didn’t say, ‘Now is that political, or social?’ He said, ‘I feed you.’ Because the good news to a hungry person is bread.” — Archbishop Desmond Tutu
9. “The average person is still under the aberrant delusion that food should be somebody else’s responsibility until I’m ready to eat it.” — Joel Salatin
10. “Innovations that are guided by smallholder farmers, adapted to local circumstances, and sustainable for the economy and environment will be necessary to ensure food security in the future.” — Bill Gates
11. “Without sound conservation and management measures, fisheries will quickly become depleted and a basic component of global food security will be lost.” — Sigmar Gabriel
12. “In a world where one-third of all edible food never makes it to the mouths of the hungry, we all have an individual moral responsibility to do our part.” — Madeleine Albright
13. “Food security is not in the supermarket. It’s not in the government. It’s not at the emergency services division. True food security is the historical normalcy of packing it in during the abundant times, building that in-house larder, and resting easy knowing that our little ones are not dependent on next week’s farmers’ market or the electronic cashiers at the supermarket.” — Joel Salatin
14. “Food is national security. Food is economy. It is employment, energy, history. Food is everything.” — Chef José Andrés
15. “If you want to eliminate hunger, everybody has to be involved.” — Bono
Promoting food waste in 3,2,1… Go!
There’s no denying that food security is an issue that affects the entire world. It’s a basic human right that every individual should have access to sufficient, safe, and nutritious food.
The quotes we have compiled above serve as a reminder of the critical importance of food security and the need for collective efforts to ensure that everyone has access to adequate food. It’s only through joint action that we can create a sustainable food system and a world where no one goes hungry.