Food waste is a serious issue that affects not only our environment but also our economy and society. In fact, it’s estimated that one-third of all food produced globally is wasted. That’s why we need to start taking action to reduce our food waste, and what better way to inspire change than through powerful quotes from individuals who have experienced the impact of food waste first-hand?
Below, we’ve gathered 20 thought-provoking food waste quotes that will inspire you to take action and make a difference.
1. “Food waste is an atrocity that is reducible, if not completely avoidable.” – Stephen Hough
2. “Throwing away food is like stealing from the table of those who are poor and hungry.” – Pope Francis
3. “To me, it’s sort of funny that wasting food is not taboo. It’s one of the last environmental ills that you can just get away with.” – Jonathan Bloom
4. “In a world of seven billion people, set to grow to nine billion by 2050, wasting food makes no sense – economically, environmentally and ethically, aside from the cost implications, all the land, water, fertilizers and labor needed to grow that food is wasted – not to mention the generation of greenhouse gas emissions produced by food decomposing in landfills and the transport of food that is ultimately thrown away.” – Achim Steiner
5. “Cutting food waste is a delicious way of saving money, helping to feed the world and protect the planet.” – Tristram Stuart
6. “Food waste isn’t considered a problem because, for the most part, it isn’t considered at all. It’s easy to ignore because it’s both common and customary. I have yet to meet someone who is pro-food waste, but many aren’t convinced that it’s important.” – Jonathan Bloom
7. “Imagine walking out of a grocery store with four bags of groceries, dropping one in the parking lot, and just not bothering to pick it up. That’s essentially what we’re doing.” – Dana Gunders
8. “You waste life when you waste good food.” – Katherine Anne Porter
9. “Waste of food = waste of farmers’ hard work.” – Manali
10. “Together, we can reverse this unacceptable trend and improve lives. In industrialized regions, almost half of the total food squandered, around 300 million tons annually, occurs because producers, retailers and consumers discard food that is still fit for consumption.” – José Graziano da Silva
11. “Preserve and treat food as you would your body, remembering that in time, food will be your body.” – B. W. Richardson
12. “Feel what it’s like to really starve, and I guarantee that you’ll forever think twice before wasting food.” – Criss Jami
13. “Don’t waste food, it’s like wasting one of the most precious things given by God to us.” – Anonymous
14. “Every 10 to 15 seconds, a child dies of hunger. Don’t waste food.” – Anonymous
15. “Don’t waste food. Before wasting, think about the farmer and his efforts to grow crops. And also think about poor people who are struggling to get food.” – Bhumi
16.“Respect for food is a respect for life, for who we are and what we do.” – Thomas Keller
17.“It’s not leftovers that are wasteful, but those who either don’t know what to do with them or can’t be bothered.” – Julian Baggini
18.“One of the most important lessons I learned along the way was how to reduce waste in the creation of food – to make sure all the food ingredients are portable and can be used on more than one dish.” –Quyen Trinh
19.“Don’t waste food. Someone is sleeping on an empty stomach.” – Omer Syed
20.“We waste enough food to feed 3 billion people every year.” – Anonymous
21. “If ever family tossed a little less, we could collectively make a difference.” – Anonymous
Food waste is a global problem that requires a global solution. By being mindful of our own consumption habits and making conscious choices to reduce food waste, we can all play a part in creating a more sustainable future.
As these 20 food waste quotes have shown, there is a growing awareness of the issue, and many individuals and organizations are already taking action. Let’s join them in their efforts to reduce food waste and create a more sustainable future for ourselves and generations to come. Remember, every little bit counts!
RELATED: 10 Tips to Reduce Food Packaging Waste
Leave a Comment